Tuesday, 1 October 2013

Felting and dying wool

So in between and after the plaster casting
I dyed and felt wool for the first time.

The wool was given to me ages ago by a friend.

I have some dylon dyes so thought I'd try them out
The fibres took a bit of prodding to wet them!
I soaked the fibres for approximately
an hour then rinsed them out ...
The green and blue were quite pale as I had some
 leftover dye from a previous dyeing so I decided
to make up a fresh batch and re-dye these two.
Teasing the fibre over horizontally
then vertically..
and across horizontally again.
Sprinkle with hot soapy water...and roll, roll
roll with the rolling pin until it felts...

..a bit like this. Next I lay out the orange and
sprinkled a little pink in the mix for fun.

Roll, spritz, roll, spritz...
The green and blue dye batches
..and after rinsing. Much happier with the colour this time!
Teased out on the bubble wrap
I remembered I had a spray bottle somewhere
Roll roll until it felts!
More pics to come.

Time: 6 hours (30/09/13)
Felting/dying of wool

No comments:

Post a Comment