Saturday, 19 October 2013

Experimental Dyeing and Paper Making

Before I could couch any more paper
 I needed to recover my molds.
The old (cheap) mesh was getting holey.
 The mold frames after removing the old, worn mesh
 I picked up some  new (and more expensive!)
mesh that is used for screen doors...
 ..and with tin snips carefully cut to fit each frame.
I removed the old staples with a flat-head screwdriver
and pliers, then re-stapled over the new mesh.

Couching the pulp onto the felts
 and pressing between blankets
and boards, weighted with a brick.
 The following day I hung the felts out to dry.
The paper goes all wrinkly but I ironed it out.

Note the little flecks of green?
That's Kawakawa, which I added to the blender after
 the corn fibre was cooked but prior to couching.
So, I'm pretty satisfied with whole this turned out.

Next time I'll try adding some calendula petals, I think.
 So, remember the green mush?? (pulp)
It ended up sitting and seeping for a few
days as I had an appointment at WINZ at the middle
of the week and I ended up a nervous wreck!
 After soaking and rinsing in water
recycled from my washing machine
(and I had to do this multiple times!)
 My "Plum Pudding"
 Well...it looked a lovely green colour after rinsing
 After being put through the blender
 A couched sheet
It's now pressing flat to remove the moisture.

Time: 5 hours
Paper-making, Dyeing

No comments:

Post a Comment