Saturday, 29 August 2015

Pottery, Weaving ..and new shelving

The past couple of weeks I've been doing some pottery 
crafts with Ricky, my home-schooled student. 
Our feet and a plaque with a verse
We've also been making leaf-shaped soap dishes as that's what I'm interested in trialing with my soaps as a gift idea and Ricki's mum was happy to have a few one for herself and some as gifts.
 
Plus, I revisited the idea of making books with hand-made paper and ceramic covers again. I can't remember if I have blogged about or not but I have a friend who has a kiln she no longer uses and she is gifting it to me! All I need is a trailer and a few strong young men to help get it to my house. I'm hoping my son, Cam (16) and my two nephews (22 and 20) will assist me with it here so I can use it.
With my little soap business expanding to supply 3 shops I was very happy to be the winning bidder on this shelving unit. It's pretty big and only JUST fit in my parents van but was a great score for only $30 ..plus it was a local seller. I'm looking to get some baskets to better make use of the shelving space as the soap needs to cure for a few weeks before it gets labeled and ready for selling.

 TAPESTRY/WEAVING
I attended the monthly weaving group mid August...
 There was a number of looms set up and Erin demonstrated double-sided weaving which totally bamboozled me! I had my pohutukawa tapestry with me so worked on that while the ladies
 discussed weaving and other things of interest to them. There's a retreat being organised in November so that was one of the topics they talked about.( I probably won't go as I'll be working)
 A few of the table looms
 And one of the projects a weaver had been working on.
She is planning to chop the 13 metre length up
 to sew into jackets
My pohutukawa tapestry is ALMOST finished. I've sewn up all the "slits" (areas where there's a vertical colour difference) and decided to add hills by embroidering some brown over the light blue wool, plus added the hem/border top and bottom. Naoko, the main weaver for the Whangarei Community Tapestry Project explain a couple of techniques for binding as I hadn't allowed enough warp for a lower fringe. She also suggested it could be made into a cushion but with all our animals I think I'll back it and hang it on the wall.
It was Daffodil Day yesterday and something I've been thinking of is designing and making a tapestry for the Cancer Society..or maybe I'll have to make a few,... one for Domain Lodge and one for Oncology at Auckland Hospital where I had Radiotherapy.


No comments:

Post a Comment