Thursday, 5 November 2015

September/October 2015

Gosh...it's been ages since I updated my blog! I've been struggling a bit over July/August. The end-of-winter always seems to drag on for me which hasn't helped either. My energy levels been been slowly increasing over the months and I've tried really hard not to stress about stuff. 

SOAP-MAKING:
 As per usual, I've been making soap until its coming out my ears! 
T.his big batch is kauri soap and for the Kauri Art Gallery in Dargaville. Cam and I took a trip over (driving experience for him) in late September/Early October to deliver an order of soap to them.
This kauri leaf dish caught my eye while Cam and I wandered around the gallery. I'm thinking of a leaf carving brief. I have a flat piece of oamaru stone that could work for this.
 I also continue to forage and harvest 
plant materials for my soap making.
 I'm really lucky I have friends with native
 trees on their property that are happy
to share their botanics with me 
 Tanekaha and Kahikatea (below)
There's always something happening in my 
soapmaking studio! (aka: laundry room)

 PRINTING/CARVING
 I've been working on a couple of woodcuts
 I need to organise going to Te Kowhai Print
studio at The Quarry to do some printing.

PAINTING/MURALS

Heather Carthew, a member from The BACH, Chairperson of the Committee and very involved with promotion of the Hundertwasser Arts Centre has been painting colourful murals (inspired by Hundertwasser art) for The Growers Market. 
I  went out to her place to give her a hand a few days.
As you can see they are pretty BIG panels!
It was my first time working with paint this size.
One of the finished (double) panels..
We still have a few more panels to complete but they are on hold over the summer as we learned Prosper Northland Trust are moving the painted container on Western Hills Drive to The Growers Market as a "pop-up" information centre.
I was so inspired by the mural painting I came home and worked an A2 sized piece based on a typical New Zealand countryside. I'm not as thrilled with it at the end as I was at the start but, oh well...just got to "let go" of my ideals and expectations and accept what is, is!

TAPESTRY
After much contemplation I have FINALLY finished my tapestry.
 I've backed it with a piece of felt which I have hand-sewn. 

Initally I thought I've have beads along the top of the fringe
 but after doing it, cut them all off almost immediately
 and went with a plain (longesh) fringe instead.
 I've also been work on the community tapestry when I can
and adding photos and updates on the Tapestry Blog.
Naoko working on the tapestry while 
I've been working at The BACH.

Papermill Exhibition:
The Paper Mill had an exhibition in the vacate shops adjacent to The I-Site Hub. As well as paper-making demonstrations there were items on display for purchase.
Some of the amazing things on display...
This one was my favourite though. I love the "feathers" and seeing this has reminded me about my brief idea using my handmade paper pulp to make a torso. Just not sure how to do it....
~o0o~

In early October I spent a week in Hamilton visiting my daughter, taking a break from work, domestic life and responsibilities. I took my camera with me and  used it to re-inspire me. We visited the Hamilton Zoo, the Gardens and the lake, the museum and art gallery (a similiar shop/gallery to The BACH).
 The Artspost building used to be the Hamilton Post Office.
 Some of the items for sales include tapestry leaves by Marilyn Rea-Menzies who will be involved in helping us finish off (cutting/hanging etc) the Whangarei Community Tapestry when we've completed the weaving.
Loved this "nest" of leaves...
 ..and this tree stained glass window on the back of a building.
(this would make a great tapestry!)
 A sculpture outside the Hamilton Museum.

I also made a point to call on Marilyn Rea-Menzies who is a tapestry weaver/artist and
she has a studio in Hamilton.
 She has made MANY tapestries over the years (35 years to be exact!) and her work is amazingly detailed. She showed me a book she's had made of all her works, alot of them commisioned pieces.
 I love the current piece she is working on.
There's such detail in her work!
It was really nice spending tme with her, dicussing tapestry
 weaving/design and just being creative, in general.

I decided too, while away in Hamilton that I would apply for the Oriel Hoskings Scholarship. It took a few weeks to decide  how i was going to put together my submission . Then right at the last minute I almost didn't send it off! (Doubting myself etc... But after all, what have I got to loose??? I'll know by the 23rd November if I've been successful or not.
~o0o~

No comments:

Post a Comment