Tuesday has become my clay-day.
This time I thought I'd have a go at
making a slab vase (I think it's called?)
This is what I did...
Rolled out a piece of clay between two pieces of sheeting
(so it doesn't stick to the roller or dry out too fast)
I lay a piece of nylon netting on top
and rolled over it to give it flexibility
...then wrapped the rolled piece of clay
around a gladwrap cardboard tube.
cut off the excess and smoothed the
edges where they joined.
I found a piece of pvc tubing
to cut out the end or base..
...and smoothed that around the
bottom of the cardboard tubing.
TA-DA! Fingers-crossed, it works!
This is some of the reconstituted clay
(with my handmade flax paper added)
I repeated the same process as above and
am interested to compare to two after firing.
The two side by side for drying.
I hope they don't get knocked over!
Then I saw this mould ...
...and thought it would make a pretty book cover
The plan is to take a plaster mould
from it once it's dried and fired.
If it come away intact, that is.
Here's some pics from last weeks clay class.
Unfortunately the words have fallen off
(not "stuck") but I'm told by another more
experienced potter that they can be adhered
after firing so not to worry.
I didn't like how this turned out...
...so back it goes to be reconstituted!
I should point out though, it wasn't easy to break
so my experiment with trying to make the clay
more resilient, worked *smiles*
Now to wait and see what the slab vases look like...
Clay Workshop - 4 hours
1 April 2014
1 April 2014
No comments:
Post a Comment