Tuesday has become my Clay-Day.
I took a packed lunch with me and stayed
until 2.30 pm before heading to the library
to pick up some (clay technique) books,
then headed over to pick Cam up after school.
I was feeling pretty chuffedwith my paper-clay
(well....it LOOKED great!)
and rolled it out to a slab where I discovered,
much to my disappointment, it didn't cut cleanly!
Being fibrous in nature (with flax paper) meant it
cut with fibres sticking out like whiskers!
(no photos sorry)
So I reworked the clay into a large leaf with the
intentions of fashioning a tall vase for some (wooden?)
flowers I purchased recently that need a tall vase.
So I'm still having FUN at this point.
I took a break for lunch and even
put up a Facebook status saying
I was "having fun" playing with clay
at The Quarry Arts Centre!
My enthusiasm didn't last long though...
A fern (NZ silver fern)
left a nice imprint
as did the netting
on the other side
(except it wasn't long enough)
but when I attempted to roll the
clay in the "vase" shape it cracked
and left finger indentations.
Using the sponge (that came with the clay-kit)
moistened with water, I was able to smooth
out the imperfections, which were, by this time
really bothering me!
I almost packed in the vase idea but have
seen pottery items that have been texturised
by "scratching" with a toothpick...so did that.
If I'm not liking it by next week, I'll
just reconstitute it into something else.
That's the great thing about clay!
Here's my pottery tiles from last week
I've textured the underside rolling them out on the
nylon netting with the hope, they don't break.
Time: 3 hours
18 Feb 2014
Pottery

So very cool Julia! You are one talented girl!! :) Blessings, Camille
ReplyDelete