On Thursday I spoke with Glenda (from work who had organised for me to attended the workshop) on the phone. Initially I was quite anxious to talk about my sense of failure at the workshop (in not understand the weaving processes) but Glenda was empathetic and understanding. She suggested if I was up to it to go back on Friday, see how everyone was getting on and take some photos to give me some closure. At first, I didn't think I could - but by Friday morning I was feeling better and decided to challenge myself to get "back on the horse" so to speak. So in the afternoon my daughter took me back to the wokshop. Everyone was surprised to see me, a few whispered about me to each other but I just tried to focus on being positive.
Naoko was very close to finishing
Marilyn who I was seated next was almost finished as well.
Marilyn is a very experienced weaver and has done a number of tapestry commissions. Even she said she found his weaving techniques challenging!
Before I left I asked for a photo to be taken of me and Maximo.
I also had one taken with his daughter Paola.
A final group photo - minus me
So what have I learned?
I do not cope very well in a group situation - I get overwhelmed and end up overthinking stuff!
I get frustrated easily when I do not understand a process - I blame myself and think I am dumb/stupid.
When I feel dumb and/or stupid I feel like a failure.

No comments:
Post a Comment