Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Wellington Art Gallery Trail - Part 1

 It was recommended by other TLC students to visit a number of art galleries 
while visiting the Wellington Region. On the Friday I caught the train from
Waikanae into the city and with a list of gallery names written
on a piece of paper I jumped on the bus which took me up by Cuba Street. 
It was here I started my "Art Trail" ....

First up: MINERVA
Not an art gallery but a book shop with lots of art related books.
I almost bought a card here...

NEXT: FLOWERS MANUELA
...a beautiful smelling quaint but arty florist boutique.
It was well-worth stopping in here!

NEXT ON LIST: SOLANDER GALLERY
I couldn't fin it and ended up having to ask someone.
Turns out I was looking for it on the WRONG street! I needed Willis Street...
On the way to Willis Street I found MATCHBOX GALLERIES
...up the stairs...
 It definitely wasn't my "thing" ...interesting...and quirky, but a bit to retro for me!
I walked past this park...
 ...and noticed this rather odd structure...
I thought it was most interesting!
 Another amazing sculpture! I love the tui's that visit our Kowhai ...
Very appropriate given the nature of the building. Love it!

SO...where is that SOLANDER ART GALLERY??
 YAY..FOUND IT!
Basia Smolnicki, the TLC tutor for the weekend's print-making course,
 currently has her work exhibited here. With my basic knowledge
of print-making that I learned from her I was able to 
understand how she did some of her art work. I spent quite a while here 
looking at the work on display in folders and on the wall.


No comments:

Post a Comment