Wednesday, 16 June 2021

M3_Term 4: Week 6 (16-22Nov)

 This week I really needed to get some paper made for labelling more soap. I've always found this process very cathartic and restful and amazed at how a plant can become a surface to write on. 
Chopping the flax material is certainly easier using a paper cutter and how ironic I'm using a tool intended to cut the end product to chop up the raw!
I am now in the process of rinsing the fibres in readiness for pulp and then making into sheets.

16/11/2020
After experimenting with "writing with pulp" and discovering it peeled of plastic easier because of the smooth surface I decided to purchase a sheet from the hardware store to play with throwing the pulp. Of course, as always I am expecting the process to go exactly perfect according to my imagination so having the pulp splatter and create a blotchy uneven format (from the throwing motion) was not quite what I was anticipating. I'm learning to "go with" an outcome and appreciate what is and what I see.
I am really liking the translucency, texture and tonal qualities of this piece. It's possible the gel medium acted as "a transparent glue" in connecting the paper pulp and the dark opaque tones are a response to pulp clusters that, perhaps, settled in the bowl due to the weight of it. 

17/11/2020
So once the green splatter was dry and lifted off the plastic sheeting I was able to try throwing two colours - I choose red and blue because I was "expecting" the red and turn pink (but it didn't) Unlike the pulp mix with starch, the gel medium held the colour of the paint. My camera is struggling with taking photos outside so the above pics are not true-to-life by the way)

20/11/2020
It took several days for the pulp mix to dry sufficiently to lift/peel. I got impatient and tried to lift it but on caused damage to the underside surface in my attempts. Patience really IS a virtue!
My Mum was more than happy to hold the smaller of the two splodges for photographing (the larger still needed another days drying) The top image shows the front or top and the pulp and the second shows the underside which was smooth from resting on the plastic. I am loving the blending of the colours and how edges are darker.

21/11/2020 
The larger of the two red and blue splodges - front and back (or topside and underside) 
Detail photos of the mottled textures of the top surface, above and the smooth grainy texture of the underside, below.
I would like to continuing exploring this process with other colour blends and its physicality properties.

22/11/2020
RESEARCH: Physicality
(ˌfɪzɪˈkælɪtɪ  )
NOUN
1. 
the state or quality of being physical
2. 
the physical characteristics of a person, object, etc

New Zealand Artist, Amanda Watson

Amanda Watson’s practice extends ideas of abstraction, landscape, and scale primarily through the medium of paint.  She experiments with the physicality of paint and surface, and recently has investigated the fluidity and freedom of drawing translated in paint.  Her work refers and responds to the urban and natural environments, and their architectural and organic forms and structures. Aesthetica talk to her about the influence of the environment as inspiration and processes behind her pieces.

A: As a contemporary artist living and working in New Zealand, how do you think the context of this has informed your work, both through the landscape and the culture that inevitably affects and shapes our lives?
AW: As a New Zealander I feel closely connected to the land. The land is important for us in terms of resources and industry and also culturally. In Maori culture (Maori are the indigenous people of New Zealand, Aotearoa), people are seen to be intrinsically connected to the land, and this relationship is given deep importance. These cultural beliefs have been a part of my development both personally and artistically. I was brought up with the beach at my doorstep and the mountains in my backyard, perhaps that is why I dedicate a lot of my time to exploring landscape in my work as it seems natural to do this. Early last century, the world’s artists and new ideas were hidden from artists in New Zealand because of our geographical isolation. In some ways I like that because it allowed a genuine and unique contemporary art to develop that was personal to New Zealand. Now, with prolific digital communication, the world is accessible and we are able to participate on a global platform, so there are not many limitations.

A: Could you talk about your practice as a painter – what do you find so enduring about the art form as opposed to, for example, photography or digital art?
AW: I have not yet come to the end of my investigations in painting, in fact I’m drawn further in the more I paint. I like the idea of being connected into the tradition of painting that extends back in history and weaves through to today. I’m building on that and contributing to that in some way. I enjoy the process and preparation of making a painting, starting with bare materials, constructing the surface, then building up the surface with paint. I dabble in photography and sculptural work, mainly to inform my painting. It’s all about painting.

A: How do you think that the environment informs your work, both in terms of the content for your work but the inspiration behind each piece?
AW: My work responds to the environments I find myself in, both specific locations and spaces in general. I take a lot of photographs to document locations that I find interesting, both natural landscapes and urban. After seeing a Lygia Clark retrospective at MoMA in New York in 2014 and being transfixed by both the simplicity and complexity of form in her work, I began to see shapes, shadows, recesses, and protrusions as we continued to backpack through America, Europe and Asia during that year. I walked through the streets and landscape daily, and engaged with the environment this way day after day. When I returned to my studio back home in New Zealand, my work took on a fusion of built environment and landscape elements.

A: In terms of personal vs societal contexts, how do the everyday, human elements of life affect the work you produce?
AW: I view painting as an essential part of my life, so juggling the challenges of real life and making work is a constant for me. I see my role as an artist, along with other artists, as my part in serving humanity with what I can offer. Planning time in the studio gives me the space to create, so I keep to a routine to keep balance in my studio work, family, friends, and other parts of my life. At the moment I have a studio in a building with other artists, and it’s good to be in that kind of environment, alongside other artists. My studio is in the city, and so when I need a break, I can go down the road to my local for a coffee, and say hi to friends in the community. My engagement with the people and places around me are continually feeding into the work I make.

A: How do you think the abstraction behind your works help to replicate the fluidity of landscapes, organic forms and structures?
AW: There are elements in my work that relate to the ideas of abstraction and in particular action painting and the importance of the process of making art. My work has a sensual connection with the materials of paint and surface, and it explores intuitive and loose paint handling, and ideas of illusionistic space present in lyrical abstraction. These references to abstraction support ideas found in the processes and systems that occur in the natural environment, and in biological forms. I use my work as a platform for conversations between process and idea.

A: When approaching a new piece in this style, is it colour or shape that first strikes you or is it more of an entwined process?
AW: It’s the process of mark-making, and the subsequent decisions that come from that are the driving force of my work. I usually have in my mind a colour palette, but this can change, but the subtleties and sensitivities of colour are important to me. It definitely evolves as it goes. I work a lot with layers of paint. It’s difficult to know when a painting is finished, and most paintings will go through a long life of many changes and many layers. Often I will take photographs of each painting at the end of each day, just to keep a record of the layers underneath.

A: Could you talk about how your work is evolving now, and where you’re planning on taking it in the future?
AW: My practice extends ideas of abstraction and landscape through primarily the medium of painting. It addresses and experiments with the physicality of paint and surface, and recently has investigated painting as drawing and the fluidity and speed of the process. I have been curious about how a moment or an idea can be translated into painting, and how the act of painting can act as interpreter. I would like to further explore the intersection of gestural line and hard-edged form, how they exist together on the painting surface, and explore the tension and intersection I see between urban and natural environments and the unseen or what might lie beneath. I will continue to make work that embodies my response to architectural, bodily, and organic forms and structures, and using urban and rural environments around me and personal to me, as a starting point.

Credits:
1. Exposed, oil, acrylic pigment, compressed graphite, ink on canvas, 700x900mm. Courtesy of the artist. SOURCE:https://aestheticamagazine.com


Artist statement

Amanda Watson

I live at the ends of the earth, or the beginning depending on how you look at it, in Aotearoa New Zealand. A small city on the coast, was my home growing up, we had silky black sand that came out of your clothes and hair long after you got home, wind swept walks to school, long afternoon BBQs with friends on the beach.  I have always spent a lot of time outside, and alongside that found a fascination with painting my experience of the environment.

For four years I studied for my Bachelor Degree in Fine Arts at Elam School of Fine Arts, at Auckland University where I majored in painting.  Some of my memorable tutors were Carole Shepheard, Dick Frizzell, Allie Eagle, and Don Binney.  The flaky paint, uneven floors and off-plumb walls of the painting mansions still appear in my dreams.  I was new and shy around my painting peers, but equally motivated and curious about the act of painting.

Early on I began showing work in the Parnell Gallery, and then the Morgan Street Gallery in New Market, along with group shows and award shows around the country, in the UK and in Italy.  With over 46 group and solo exhibitions since 1995, my painting practice has steadily grown from year to year.  My work has been selected as a finalist in contemporary painting awards in New Zealand and the United Kingdom, I have work in public and private collections, and in published reviews, and for the last ten years or so I’ve shown work with Foenander Galleries in Mt Eden.

I’ve just recently emerged from the haze of completing my Masters Degree in Painting, where I explored the materiality of painting in and with environments. The research explores how environments can be ‘actants’ in the making of paintings, and how the use of gesture and process in painting enables a multifarious and surprising experience of place to be revealed. This is interesting because it suggests that in the ‘give and take’ process a painter submits themselves to, where ‘the life of things and the artist’s own can intertwine’ (Schwabsky 2019, 25*), it is conceivable that painting can contribute to finding new ways to ‘see’ the world.

During my masters research I attended a Summer School short course at the Slade School of Fine Arts in London, where I looked at the expanded field of drawing, and enjoyed revisiting the art and galleries of London, Paris, and northern Italy, which was amazing.  Early in 2020 a painting was longlisted for the Aesthetica Art Award in London, and published in Aesthetica Art Prize Anthology: Future Now.  And at the moment I am working towards publishing my dissertation thesis which is about my practice-led research into the interactions between environments, painting materials, and myself as artist. 


This work explores the interaction between environments, painting materials and myself as artist, as I work in and with places to make these paintings.  My work registers the process of making and my encounters with environments, where the land acts as an actant.  The work has been made by ‘wrapping’ or ‘covering’ surfaces with large pieces of canvas, positioning them over and around masses of rock, parts of trees or organic matter on the ground, or bunched on the studio wall, when paint is applied or erased.  Things between the materials, processes, and territories take place, and discoveries are made while working within the constraints of site and process are things that become part of each work.  Each painting has undergone multiple wrapping and painting occasions, so that layers of encounters from different places and times can build-up and interact to provide a multifarious experience of place.





No comments:

Post a Comment