Wednesday, 16 June 2021

M3_P7 Term 4 Week 7 (22-29Nov)

23/11/2020
 
I made up another batch of pulp (recycling newsprint paper) and divided it into two containers, this time colouring one black and the other, white. 
Unfortunately, it started to rain soon after throwing the pulp across the clear plastic. As the pulp was still fluid and I hadn't had to foresight to place a board underneath the plastic sheeting moving it was virtually impossible. Instead I found a way to cover it without disturbing the arrangement of the pulp.
Detail of the pulp, it splattered as it landed on the plastic and I am looking forwarding to observing the pattern formations on the underside once it has dried and can be lifted.

25/11/2020
SKYPE meeting with John and Carol (1 hr)
A couple of days later and at the suggestion by John, I was able to slid a sheet of ply underneath the plastic sheeting and move the pulp.
The pulp had solidified sufficiently to enable it's manoeuvre under cover on the porch to continue drying.

26/11/2020
After our Skype conversation on Wednesday and John mention the collapsing of something when it's unstable, it has had me thinking about the waxed shirts and by reheating the base of the shirt it would re-soften the fabric and therefore "collapse"

Collapse

(kəˈlæps  )
VERB
1. (intransitive)
to fall down or cave in suddenly
the whole building collapsed
2. (intransitive)
to fail completely
his story collapsed on investigation
3. (intransitive)
to break down or fall down from lack of strength
4. 
to fold ( furniture, etc) compactly or (of furniture, etc) to be designed to fold compactly
NOUN
5. 
the act or instance of suddenly falling down, caving in, or crumbling
6. 
An old chair provided support for the waxed shirt which enabled heat to be directed along the bottom edge. As the shirt was propped in a vertical position, plastic sheeting collected the liquefied wax 
During the (re)heating process, the plastic started to melt and stick the to underside!
I also needed to find a way to absorb the excessive wax.
By placing an old towel underneath the wax reabsorbed into it.
I love how in it's stiffened state but with the bottom splaying, the shirt can stand alone.

splay














































































[ spley ]

verb (used with object)

verb (used without object)

to have an oblique or slanting direction.
to spread or flare.

This has reminded of a penguin
so I googled the relationship between "suits/tuxedos and penguins"
This website looks at the demise of the tuxedo and this one asks if "the suit" is dead...
"Hanging shirt"

27/11/2020
Looked at the history and the changing attire in men's formal dress code.




27/11/2020

I was inspired to experiment with casting pulp onto a sheet of corrugated iron. As you can see, my cat Nera was interested too!  One end of the iron was elevated slightly to create a small incline. I was interested in the way the pulp responded to the parallel ridges. Clear plastic lay on the top of the corrugations to assist with easy removal of the paper once it was dry.

I made up another two batches of pulp (recycling newsprint packaging) - one batch was coloured pink, the other blue. The pulp was projected onto the plastic-covered corrugated iron, The liquid in the pulp proceeded to run down the recesses in between the ridges so I am looking forward to seeing the results once dried.
The pulp is slowly drying - it will only peel off the plastic surface once all moisture has evaporated.The pulp resting in between the ridges is denser, therefore extending the drying time.




















No comments:

Post a Comment