Sunday, 17 July 2016

Tapestry - the planning stage

So I started on my weaving and had only done a few inches
 when I decided I didn't like what I was doing. The yarn was all 
wrong - too similar, which I didn't really realise until I wove it.
So I unpicked what I'd done and experimenting
 with some different yarns and see how I go.

 I'm really inspired by reflections (as you may have worked out by my some of my photos) I'm not sure why but I'm sure there's some psychological reason behind why I like what inspires me!
Foggy misty morning on my way to work.
I would love to be able to weave reflections like this (below) one day..
I'll have to do lots of practice to build up my confidence in
 this  area. At least with a community project the design
 needs to be pretty simple and easy for inexperienced people, 

Below are some inspirational images I've found researching information and ideas for the  planning of my first panel. It's going to be a reflection of pre-European history so I want to include some Maori symbolism along with a waka and Mt Parihaka in the background. 
Above: this image shows Whangarei Heads in the background but has been a starting point for my design. 


I'm basing the colours of the weft yarns on the above two images. 
 The colours black, red and white feature strongly in Maori art. The colour red is a symbol of mana (prestige, power, status) and is therefore often used in the decoration of important items such as the buildings and structures around a marae (courtyard where formal greetings and discussions take place) and waka (canoes). 
I, however, want the panels to reflect historical era in colour so will use a contemporary/heritage range and leaning towards the left side of the above chart as the second panel will be based on sepia colours and I'd like there to be a bit of a flow between the two.



I also want to include some maori symbols.
The above represents family and growth and I think it's really
 appropriate for establishment of a tribal settlement.
On Friday 12th July I drove out to met Historian Mim Ringer who lives at Matapouri. I got terribly lost trying to find her place but after a trip back to the nearest dairy and a phone-call later I was on my way to visit with her. The views upon arriving were "to-die-for" - I was so glad I had my camera!
 
Mim's driveway - so beautiful and peaceful!
Be still my beating heart!!
 These photos are taken from her front deck.
 Her house was surrounded by trees filled with birds - tui and fantail. She said wood-pigeon also frequented the trees - how amazing to see them so close, in her case on the other side of a window!
We had a lovely chat and she was full of knowledge from her research over the years. She shared a little bit about her history, work and studies. Mim also shared that she had been involved in the panels which give a true historical narrative of the past that have been installed at The Town Basin. It's these panels I'll be incorporating into a Story Board to support each tapestry as it's worked on by the community (at The BACH Art Gallery) She also given me some names of reference books and a couple of people to contact regarding the Maori history and artwork.
On my way back home again...I would love to live in the bush!
One Day....maybe.

TIME: 15 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment