May was a a little bit challenging in that even though I'd finished radiotherapy treatment, it still keeps on working. The side effects I noticed were the fatigue and intense tissue irritation/inflammation. I found it very hard to stay focused as my concentration (which is not the best normally!) seemed to be more of an issue too. I was pleased to get a couple of things completed and have made a list of Briefs.
~PAINTING~

This art journalling page happened as a result of the ever-changing emotional journey I was on before/during and after cancer treatment.
In keeping with the Whangarei Loves Hundertwasser theme that is currently hot topic here in Whangarei I worked a painted rendition of a wall-hanging I designed/made last year.
~PAINTING~

This art journalling page happened as a result of the ever-changing emotional journey I was on before/during and after cancer treatment.
In keeping with the Whangarei Loves Hundertwasser theme that is currently hot topic here in Whangarei I worked a painted rendition of a wall-hanging I designed/made last year.
I decided against the orange windows so added a coat of gold over the top to give a bit more "warmth and light" then added varying patterns over the top of the other colours, using stamps and bubblewrap for effect.
I went round with a vivid marker to define each shape and lastly, added the fun black and white border to finish it off. I'm really pleased with how it turned out too.
~PAPERMAKING/DYEING~
I've been steadily selling my soap over the autumn and managed to, before radiation make a big batch to tide me over until after treatment finished. As a result, I've almost run out of paper so fired the BBQ up on sunny late autumn day in May and cooked up a pot of flax. While that was cooking, my neighbour called over the fence asking if I would like some of their kauri branches as they were doing a bit of pruning. I said, yes please and once the flax was done I cooked up the kauri leaves.
I was in love with the amazing rich colour of the water!
I grabbed a piece of cotton, swirled a bit of glue as a resist, dried it
then "painted on" some of the dye from the leaves.
I also grabbed some carded alpaca and dunked that in an ice-cream container full of dye. I'm sure I'll need to use a mordant but not sure which or what. Must find a book I have on dyeing with plant materials.
I really want to make some felted book covers (one of my planned briefs) and would love if this rich dye could be incorporated some how into something..I'm not sure what yet!
~WORKING & WEAVING~

Work stopped on the Tapestry Project after Beverly's passing and until Naoko returned from Japan After discussion at the monthly Tapestry Committee Meeting (which I'm part of) it was decided that Naoko, as Beverly's Assistant would take up the role of Tapestry Master. The following day Naoko and I met up to work on the tapestry. As I ran my hands the wefts I felt a closeness to Beverly but still had such a deep sadness in her absence.
I worked on either side the the Letter H
The BACH plans to run an annual art competition
~WORKING & WEAVING~

Work stopped on the Tapestry Project after Beverly's passing and until Naoko returned from Japan After discussion at the monthly Tapestry Committee Meeting (which I'm part of) it was decided that Naoko, as Beverly's Assistant would take up the role of Tapestry Master. The following day Naoko and I met up to work on the tapestry. As I ran my hands the wefts I felt a closeness to Beverly but still had such a deep sadness in her absence.
I worked on either side the the Letter H
and did some hatching on the mountain.
I returned to working at The BACH Art Gallery in mid-May, starting with just a few hours and building up to full days. As we are in to Winter now, things are quite slow/quiet at the gallery sales-wise. We have just finished hosting the first Hundertwasser Schools Art Competition and had quite a bit of foot-traffic through as a result. It was so lovely seeing all the kids art work and I found myself getting really enthusiastic creatively-speaking. Here's some of their work :-)
There was enteries from kindergartens..
This one was one of my favourites!
Up to Year's 7 & 8. Lots of amazing work!The BACH plans to run an annual art competition
each year to encourage children to be creative.
Next year I hope to be able to be more involved.
Next year I hope to be able to be more involved.
















No comments:
Post a Comment