Saturday, 2 May 2015

Auckland Art Gallery

While having treatment in Auckland I had the
 opportunity to go to the Auckland Art Gallery

My friend, who was my support person and staying
with me for the week, and I caught the train from
 Grafton(a 5 minute walk from Domain Lodge) into
Britomart Transport Centre and then walked up
Queen Street to the Art Gallery. It was my first time
catching the train and a little disorientating, but we
got there and had a nice afternoon together exploring.
Some of the exhibitions were interesting to me and
some a little odd but I guess that's what makes the
world so versatile, captivating and intriguing.
One of the main features, an exhibition of works
 by Billy Apple was a bizarre mix of art and life, 
commerce and creativity. Initially I didn't like or
"get it" but on reflection I now see what he was
portraying: not only what art and the artist can be, 
but what they can do to experiment with the
 nature of existence in our contemporary world
I love that he "rebranded" himself...
In 1962, London, when the young New Zealand artist changed his name and bleached his hair, redefining himself as a 'product' with his own distinct brand.  By reinventing himself, Apple sought to establish a new relationship between the artist and everyday life by exploring how he could be redefined. This was a unique and lasting contribution to the emerging pop art scene where the focus was on the rising world of consumerism.
Source: http://www.aucklandartgallery.com/

Apple experimented with a wide range of media..
..and in so doing challenges the operations 
and relationships of the art world.
Billy Apple's works certainly has got me thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment