PAINTING/WordART
I got inspired to stamp wording on my koru.
I wanted to write something about GROWING
which the koru represents. I made up a batch of limey-
green paint and though you can read the wording
against the black it's really hard to define on the green.
So I overstamped using a warm yellow
You can read the text much easier now.
MIXED MEDIA Canvas
I also had a bit of fun adding paper, buttons
(heaps of them!) and text to a canvas.
It hangs in my kitchen where I see it often.
It reminds me to Hope, Love and Believe!
"Weaving With Others" WORKSHOP
I have missed the past two weaving workshops
but was pleased to be able to get to the latest one
in March. We had the opportunity to experiment
with hand-painting tencel with Procion Dyes
We used cut-up plastic supermarket
bags to dye the tencel on. Gladwrap
works as well...
The dyes..we only made up small small
amounts of colour so as not to waste them.
The tencel was measured and tied in lengths and
then soaked in "gunk" to assist with absorption.
I had fun painting the sections and
watching the colours blend together.
On completion we each lay a length of gladwrap
over the dyed tencel and carefully rolled it up to
be stored for 2-3 days in a warm place (like a hot
water cupboard) to the colours would set.
I decided to experiement with some plain white
cotton fabric, painting small pieces with a brush.
Each piece gets sealed with gladwrap...
...and folded up to take home and
be put in the hot water cupboard.
With being away in Auckland for radiation
treatment last week I forgot to check
on the tencel and fabric pieces. I look forward
to seeing how they turn out and having a go
at weaving with the rainbow-coloured tencel.
I've sold all 5 of my Soap 'n Salve Ketes
so I've picked up a variety of kiwiana fat 1/4's
(and got them wholesale whoop whoop!)
I would very much like to use my
own printed designs eventually.
RESIST DYING
I experimented with resist dying
using PVA glue and a rubber stamp.
I tried the glue on my woodcut but it didn't
"take" so I tried pulling prints instead.
Above: first print was pulled using dry
paper then with a damp piece of paper.
I like the clarity and definition
in using damp paper.
Fabric, dyed green, and dry (above)
below, the fabric was the over-dyed
resist that didn't work but picked up
the printing ink nicely when
moistened with water.
FORAGING: for SOAP/SALVES
My neighbour gave me a fallen kauri branch from her tree.
I must be the only person in Whangarei to get
excited about foraged plants materials!! In between
resting (or attempting to) I've been keeping up with
the soap-making and also made another batch
of paper for labelling. I took another batch into
Puti Puti Ra over the weekend as they'd all but run out.
resting (or attempting to) I've been keeping up with
the soap-making and also made another batch
of paper for labelling. I took another batch into
Puti Puti Ra over the weekend as they'd all but run out.
INSPIRING THINGS
I've been reading this book,
found at our local library.
I like it so much I have purchased
my own copy so I can make notes
and highlight relevant information.
Creativity is essential to me being joyful
that I know. Now to work on being
ACTIVELY CONFIDENT in what I do
and who I am as a creative being!
I found this mask while looking for something else.
I would like to explore this idea using my handmade
paper mask made when I was doing The Certificate.
I also am keen to make a body (torso) cast, maybe in
acknowledgement of my cancer journey. I'm looking
froward to being well enough to do these things.
I LOVE these adobe houses too.
(I'll come back with links to the website)
I'm really inspired by the curved shapes
(sort of Hundertwassery!)
I love the natural design, almost like a mushroom.
How awesome is this wall..I would LOVE
something like this in my house.
Love the organic style of this ceramic mirror.
See these has reinspired me to
get back into pottery again!
I want to attempt making leaf
dishes to sell with my soap.
TAPESTRY/WEAVING
get back into pottery again!
I want to attempt making leaf
dishes to sell with my soap.
TAPESTRY/WEAVING
The Whangarei Community Tapestry Project is 3/4's
completed. The 10th of April marked it's 2nd Birthday.
I've not had the opportunity to contribute with weaving
recently but still updating the Tapestry Blog and FaceBook
when I was able to for people to check the progress.
Some closer-up photos....
I have registered to attended a few classes at
The Learning Connexion in June and looking
forward to having some "me" time away.
I also want to talk about continuing my
art journey when I complete my diploma.
I'm not sure if I have "what it takes" though....

































No comments:
Post a Comment