Wednesday, 4 March 2015

Creative Mindfulness and H-Bombing

Two weeks ago yesterday I had surgery to remove a small cancerous tumor which thankfully hadn't spread to the lymph nodes so I won't need chemo but will need radiation treatment for 4-6 weeks in the future. It's been a bit of a stressful journey, one that has shocked me as you hear of stuff happening to others but don't think it'll ever happen to you. So where does that leave me? Thinking about how I'm going to live a more fulfilling and happy future...and be more positive!
Just before going into hospital I made the decision to sign up for the Creative Mindfulness Course through The School of Modern Psychology in Australia. This is an online course and each week there's a prompt with an activity that requires active "mindfulness and creativity"
I am hoping it's alright to do this in conjunction with my TLC programme and think (hope) it will benefit mentally and psychologically, based on what others are saying.
Here's what I've been working on the past couple of days as I've  been recuperating from my surgery. I can sit in bed and relax while, drawing, colouring and cutting which is nice.
 The first exercise was to TIP OUT and get rid of all the negativity and "junk"  that weighs us done and inhibits us from living happy and fulfilling lives. I wish it were that easy to just tip something out of your head! But I guess that's what being "mindful"  is all about. It's about noticing what is in one's head, recognizing it and disposing of anything that's not of use to you.  Of course, after tipping out, you need to FILL UP and replace what's been turfed with positive things. I've used water-colour pencils and a fine black pen.
 This could be a long journey as I tend to "take back"
 all the things that inhibit me without even realising it!
 And the "good" things?
I'm not sure WHY I can't hang on to those.....
Another activity we were asked to do was to ask ourselves how we can be more audacious? Darn..I've spelled AUDACIOUS wrong..... ugh!!!
 Oh well...what's done is done.
How silly of me to not check the spelling before writing it.
I do want to point out that I experimented with water-colour paints for the green background and after several attempts was happy with the results. Shame I couldn't spell though.

Lastly, I have been asked by someone of notoriety to H-Bomb their letterbox. 
They know of my health situation so giving me time to do it but I thought I'd better sharpen up my Hundertwasser skills and did a little doodling. As you can see by the wording I was not having a very positive day that day. But I'll keep on trying..... 

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, I'm trying to comment on my phone so if this is the second comment, you know why.

    I was saying bugger about your news and glad to hear no chemo. You are right about never thinking that it will happen to us.

    Your illustration skills are great, love your doodle sketches and you'll be great on the letterbox too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww..thanks Charlotte. I'm wrestling with self-doubt (as you can probably tell) again. Thank you for your kind and encouraging words! xo

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for you lovely comments Emma. I've never heard of tapping. I find moving good and soothing, (I used to rock as a kid when I was distressed) hence why soap-making and paper-making is therapeutic for me :o) I'm working on feeling that positivity needed to get through all the challenges!

    ReplyDelete