Friday, 16 May 2014

Where I'm at...

Yikes...it's almost the end of my first part-time diploma year so 
I'd better get some pics up or you'll be thinking I've been sitting
 on my laurels doing nothing, which is furthest from the truth!

It took me a few days to readjust to being back home from 
the Scrapbooking Retreat in Dunedin. I worked some more 
on my pages and got the journalling done and even made a start 
on a few new pages. Sadly, the scrapbooking has been put again 
as I have so many other projects on the go and some days 
I get so flustered and confused as to what to do I end up
 wandering around feeling overwhelmed and stressed out.

I've been enjoying the workshops provided at 
The Quarry Arts Centre and even taken the enormous
step of putting my name on the waiting list for a studio.
A couple of artists studio have become available
and I looked at them when I was there for Monday's
Art Journalling Workshop. I'm not top of the list, and 
there's other artist interest in the studios so I'm not
expecting to be called up and invited to lease one..
but hey, you've gotta be "in to win" and having my own
studio space might be just the ticket I need!

Here's some of the things I'm working on 
and being doing the past two weeks...
A few pages of my visit to the Hutt Valley in 2012
..and visiting my home area growing up
and a few pages of my fur babies, of course!
BTW...sorry about the poor photo quality...I'm too 
lazy to take the pages out of my album!

I have REALLY enjoyed the scrapbooking again
and VERY PLEASED to say, as a result of my TLC
Art Course I'm feeling HEAPS MORE confident about
 my personal style. This is so awesome to feel!

I've also been do a little painting exercises 
using textured surfaces to lay down paint on.
(Resource #6 in the workbook)
TEXTURED BLOCK
 The exercise called for Hi Build but as I didn't have
any of that I used Gesso. It was a fun process!
 Bubblewrap
Using the prongs of a fork
 Using a serrated knife edge
 Dabbing with screwed-up 
ball of waxed paper
 Pressing plastic netting into gesso
 and then placing netting on paper 
and brushing over with Gesso
 Crumpled handmade paper strips
 Shredded string pressed into Gesso
I chose to go the netting technique at the time
though it didn't turn out as good as I had hoped.
 My painted textured canvas
 and a close up of the texture.
I have "plans for this" 
I saw a cool idea using found objects.
Here's my inspiration...

I showed Ricky, a homeschooled student
 that is Autistic how to do paper marbling
 We mixed oil paints with a little turps and drizzle it
 over a shallow tray of water. Swirl it with a tooth pick...
...and ta-da...marbled paper!

This week I showed Ricky
 how to make paper using flax. 

 I do hope he enjoyed it! 
 One of his "couched" sheets...
After pressing them between two boards weighted down 
with a brick, I lay them out on the trampoline to dry.
Next week I'll help him make a book with the paper.

I'm also working on an applique but haven't 
taken any photos yet. Will do that...

...AND, I've been asked...no, I offered to 
complete a beach-theme tapestry
Now that I've seen it...I'm hoping I won't
 regret offering as it looks pretty fiddly!






No comments:

Post a Comment