The Quarry Arts Centre here in Whangarei has a number of workshops going for people to attend. My initial reason for checking out the place was because of my interest in print-making after I learned that my neighbour was instrumental in the starting up of the Te Kowhai Print Trust. The INKY FINGERS workshops have been running for a few week now but it only last week that I managed to get there as the times/days don't always work for me. This time, I thought "just go" and see what it's like.. When I arrived it was really dark and with no outside night lighting was a bit scary. But once I'd fond my way to the workshop I was surprised (and a bit freaked out!) that there was only only two men there. Apparently, Jasmine who runs Inky Fingers was out at a meeting so I set about to make myself (as) comfortable (as I could!) and the guys introduced themselves. (but I can't remember their names now) They said they were both 3rd Year Art Students from NorthTec and I immediately felt intimidated! They appeared to be confident and well informed, unlike me who has only done a little printmaking last year at a TLC workshop. When I ordered the Hi Build (for texture work) last week from the TLC Shop, I also purchased some lino squares not realising they were only tiny (but I realise now that small is really good for starting out) My next disappointment was my tools. They were cheap..and NASTY...and didn't cut AT ALL! Lucky for me, there was tools available for me to loan and a started with drawing some leaves. Sadly, I was disappointed at them too....
The two guys were very encouraging when I said I thought I might go home
as "it wasn't really working" for me. Anyhow, I was tired and been working.
They suggested I just make some "marks" and ink the lino
up regardless. Sadly, I gave in to my negative thinking and
went home with the intention of inking the lino squares
at home where nobody could see my disastrous results.
What I didn't expect was to kind of like them!
up regardless. Sadly, I gave in to my negative thinking and
went home with the intention of inking the lino squares
at home where nobody could see my disastrous results.
What I didn't expect was to kind of like them!
This was my first leaf and I didn't like my jagged cuts.
The second inking was a bit better.
Mind you I was only using a (marble) rolling pin!
The other leaf...I was happier with this one
but didn't like the bit where I shot off the stem.
Trying one face down inside of face up....
I quite like this actually!
Then I had an idea of taking a print using my handmade
flax paper. It didn't "take" very well. Maybe I'll need to try
again when I'm next at the Inky Fingers workshop
using the big press.
flax paper. It didn't "take" very well. Maybe I'll need to try
again when I'm next at the Inky Fingers workshop
using the big press.
Just mucking around and having fun now...
I'm looking forward to doing some more now as I have
useless tools but will have to wait a fortnight until the
next Inky Fingers Group.
useless tools but will have to wait a fortnight until the
next Inky Fingers Group.
Some images I've found on the internet that inspire me
I've printed these out to put in my visual diary.
Printmaking - 6 hours
(15/16 May 2014)















I've just had a book out of the library called 'Carve Stamp Play' by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer and I think you should check it out for inspiration. She's carving small stamps for hand stamping, not lino printing with a press, but the concept is the same. Heaps of idea in there. I think you're leaves are a great start - have you thought about removing the background around them or giving it some texture?
ReplyDeleteHi Charlotte..thanks for your feedback :o) I've "booked" that book which is out on loan presently and will glean it for inspiration. I had thought about removing or texturising the background but don't have any decent tools but I'm going to be up at the Quarry on Monday for Art Journalling so will call over to the print-room afterwards to borrow them.
Delete