Friday, 7 March 2014

I was starting to get a bit discouraged...

Every now and again we hit a brick wall. Creatively-speaking, that is. Well, I hit a brick wall during the week but too be honest, I've been trying to find my way around this brick wall for some time now. It's silly really..but I get hooked up on not being "able" to draw. I become SO frustrated actually by my silliness that I went outside and dug in the garden! I find gardening a really big stress release for me and of course, satisfying when you get a weeded/tidy garden. The next day I had counselling so I brought up the situation with "this block" and when I got home, thought...just get out some paper and some pastels and start. Something. 
Anything!
Last year before Christmas I took some photos of a rose that I'd planted. 
It's very pretty, pink, fragrant rose.
And my plan was to try and draw it.
If...I could over "the wall"

Well..the gardening must have helped
  (or maybe it was the talk with my counsellor?)
 as I was quite happy with my first sketchy attempts...
The top one (in pink) is mine, the B/W photo below
 it is what I was working from
... next I work in pencil...
 and wow, I am REALLY happy with this!
*does a little happy dance*

To celebrate, I worked on the koru sculpture. 
 I continued at the frond centre, 
shaping  it into a smooth curve
 and rounding the edges....
..then suddenly I realised something....As well as 
representing a frond, lay it on it's back and it
 represented a wave! Very Appropriate given
 Northland is surrounded by beaches and waves.

Then today (Friday) I worked on an idea (I've had
 in my head) and cut a piece of wood into pieces...
...to make this frame. It's going to be 
for my pottery book covers.
I hope my "idea" is going to work!

Also, the other day THIS arrived! 
I scored it from Trade Me for $28 plus postage.

Time: Drawing 3 hours
3D sculpture 1 hour

No comments:

Post a Comment