I had the pleasure of attending my first Indigo Dye
Workshop last Monday (the 20th Jan)
It was a lot of fun and I have returned home with the
dye vat (bucket) so I can do some more experimenting!
Here's some pics I took along the way....
Our tutor showing us some Shibori Techniques
Then we had the opportunity to try some ourselves....
Marbles and rubber-bands
Knots and rubber-bands
Wrapped (diagonally) around a piece of pipe,
scrunched up and tied with cotton yarn.
Our dye vats/buckets
Our pieces of fabric "soaked" for 5 minutes..
...then it's lift out into the air where the magic happens!
The dye is green but as it oxidizes witht eh air, it turns blue!.
Then it gets dunked back into the vat for another 5 minutes.
You do this three times...
...then rinse, rinse, rinse
I was a really WET day so drying on the
clothes frame wasn't going to happen.
One of the women's scarves. Aren't they awesome?
Someone else tried socks..I love them!
...and my efforts. Room for improvement and more exploration.
I've order some mordants plus a reducing agent (Spectralite)
so I can do some dyeing from the dye bucket I've brought home.
INDIGO DYEING WORKSHOP
20/01/14 - 7 hours


















FUN!!!!! Can you give some details of who ran this workshop etc?
ReplyDeleteSorry for my tardiness, Charlotte. I didn't write much as I didn't know much. I was invited by a Creative Fibre member who has encouraged me to become a CF member (which I have done) It was held in Kamo and the woman's name was Lynda. I think she my be the Northland Co-coordinator for the group ??? Sorry to be so vague!
Delete