This flax has been stewing for several weeks in these in bins and with the summer heat it smelled REAL BAD! And with it being so busy with work over Christmas/ New Year I knew I wouldn't get to doing any paper-making so added bleach to keep things "from growing" in there LOL!
After cooking the flax with caustic soda for several hours
the fibres need lots of rinsing
then processing to a pulp
This mold and deckle is larger than my other two
The sheets of paper are about 26 cm x 42 cm
so can be folded in half to make a signature
for the coptic bound book making process
Drying the paper on my trampoline.
The sheet was laid over the paper
(held down at the edges with 2x2 inch garden stakes)
to stop them blowing around the garden.
It started to rain so I grabbed a tarpaulin
which did the job of protecting them nicely!
Dried and waiting to be made into a book like this....
..or this...
The covers are ceramic! I'm so keen to try making book
like these my own ceramic covers and my handmade paper!
Speaking of clay-making,
I was a little disappointed with the end results of my glazing.
Here's what a mean...
I'm not fussed on the mottled effect of this glazed
but Sarah my daughter loves it so I've given these to her.
I put a different glaze over the top of the forest green glaze
and (in my opinion) its spoiled it
It was a suggestion by Els, one of the other
women that does clay-making at the Quarry
She loaned me some of her glazes to experiment with
and in my inexperience I just slapped it over the top.
Oh well....just means I need to keep on trying, yes?
For Christmas I purchased myself a clay tool set.
It comes with the basic tools for pottery making and I am
looking forward to using them so watch this space!


No comments:
Post a Comment