Wednesday, 13 November 2013

Mid-week update: Clay-making, paper-making, 3D Sculpture & tapestry

PAPER-MAKING: FLAX
 Cooking up more flax
 Rinsing out sodium hydroxide and neutralizing with vinegar
 Strained out vinegar rinse
 Tied up like a plum-pudding ready for rinsing

3D SCULPTURE: CELTIC KNOT
 More work on my Celtic knot. I cut out a template 
from card as the paper template was getting tatty
 Filing the center shapes was a little tricky
 Slightly undulating..slightly frustrated so I've put it away 
and will work on it some more another day.

TAPESTRY
 My tapestry is coming along and I when I get tired 
and my Inner Critic kicks in I put it away! 
Amazing how different things look when you has "fresh eyes"

CLAY-MAKING
@ The Quarry Arts Centre
 Tuesday morning I spent a couple of hours at 
The Quarry doing some clay work. 
I'm interested in making soap dishes
 in the shape of a leaf so today was about
experimenting taking leaf imprints 
and trying some different shapes
 First attempt. Els said to beware shapes 
being too thin as they may crack.
 Second attempt: a thicker leaf and rested it against my already
 dried heart and starfish I made a fortnight ago.
 Third attempt: Getting better! 
 Found a little dish to set it in.
 Very happy with this leaf.
 Speaking of found objects - this little dog belongs to one of
 the clay artists who was using the kiln to fire their work.
I must look out for a few old useful things when I'm 
next at the second-hand shops!
I notice these in the room next door.
*makes note to self to make one for when I do lino cuts*

Finally, some things of inspiration...
Work by Amy Gillespie
 Amy Gillespie is a Boston area based artist who creates sculptural wall pieces with felt, paint and wood.  Her pieces are painterly, impressionistic reflections of nature.


No comments:

Post a Comment