Monday, 28 May 2018

My last week of my Diploma...

Textiles: Tapestry weaving/Community Project
I have been working on the tapestry when I get the opportunity at work (custom slows down over the winter months) I have found it challenging at times but growing through the experience in ways I didn't anticipate when I first proposed my concept. I guess that's the main difference between a commission and a community project which involves lots of people with different ways of seeing/doing things!
I have just received an email from the Whangarei District Council Community Funding Officer
asking for a report of our project for the funding we received. It is due by end of June 2018 so will work that into my Weekly Planning for next week.

Paper-making/labeling soap:
On Tuesday afternoon I made up a batch of paper as I'd run out again. It's been a really rainy May so dried it indoors with the dehumidifier running. Works a treat! I had an order for more soap at Puti puti Ra and The Bach Gallery so spent Wednesday evening labelling soap. 

Planning: Printmaking 
I needed to get some more clay and also been thinking about returning to the  Te Kowhai Printmaking Studio to do printmaking on a Wednesday morning at The Quarry Arts Centre. I had a catch up with Jasmine who runs the Inky Fingers Workshop and she is thrilled I am planning to factor that in my weekly schedule from next week. I plan on printmaking on my handmade paper.
I went to the library and got out a number of books. As well as some print-making ones, I picked up some paper crafts, scrap-booking and journaling books. I also grabbed a couple of self-help/self-awareness books and had a giggle at the one entitled "Constructive Wallowing" - sounds like a good read to me!

Pottery: 
After my boot disaster I've been finding it hard to feel confident in my exploration with pottery. I have still been going to the Thursday evening group but haven't made anything worth reporting.

We have a "Teapot" challenge for the month of June so have been exploring that and started with a slab-worked concept. Most of the time though by the end of the night the clay has ended up balled up back in the bag!
 After getting the basic shape for the body done to a satisfactory point and after much pondering I decided to make the spout using a leaf imprint for the shape. Unfortunately it cracked in half as I tried to roll it so had to do it again. This time I left the leaf on the clay which seemed to work better.
 Next, was to "fit" the spout. I made a tear-drop shape cut in the body, scored the surrounding clay along with the edges of the leaf that would have contact and glued the spout on with vinegar. I set this aside to firm up a little while I worked on the lid. I decided to make the lid using a flower cutter. My first two attempts were disastrous! I persevered though and used a hairdryer to firm up the clay a little and found it came away from the plastic mold more cleanly this time. I felt really happy that I hadn't given up! I cut out some leaves (for decorating the teapot) a circle for the under-side of the lid and a little heart for the lid handle. Finally, I rolled out three pieces of clay lengthwise into long thin sausages, plaiting them together for the handle. Next week I will assemble the whole thing together.
 
More soap dishes - they are selling well at the gallery!

Art Journalling:
I also made a futile attempt to do some art journalling during the week. Dane has been regularly contacting me to assist with planning and program support (for which I am eternally grateful for!) She often has to remind me my inner critic is "driving my bus" and we got talking about our inner child. I realise I would never speak to someone else they way I speak to myself and need to be compassionate to myself and the inner child within.

I applied the black paint with a credit card using swiping strokes and it was in one of my daughter's childhood books that I found this image. The story was about Skipper, Barbie's younger sister feeling like she wasn't good enough as a dancer as she only had a supporting role and not the lead. Barbie was comforting and encouraging her to have faith in herself as every role is important in some way. The image made me think of an older version of me being compassionate to a younger version and I knew immediately what I needed to say to my inner child. The stamped lettering isn't perfect but I kind of don't mind as I'm sure it'll be some time before I'm flawlessly being gentle and kind to myself!
***
So, where to from here?
Continue being creative, of course! Continue to make/sell soaps etc. Include printmaking weekly on a Wednesday morning, Hydrotherapy on Wednesday evening and spend time encouraging others
(Ricky/Mel, his twin sister) creativity. I will continue to do pottery on Thursday evening along with art journalling, book-making, writing and scrap-booking. I still hope to do the Advance programme but having enrolled in a psychology course with Open Polytechnic so will see if I get excepted. My time with The Learning Connexion has been invaluable! I am not the same person I was when I first started this journey with TLC and I have learned so so much.

 I am forever grateful I discovered its existence.
***

No comments:

Post a Comment