~Started Monday 29th May 2017~
TAPESTRY/WEAVING
The Bach Community Project
With some of the changes at work (Briar not returning to work her pre-maternity leave hours) and office work being delegated to others I have been able to concentrate on the tapestry project for The Bach. Initially, I struggled emotionally with the change (believed I wasn't "good enough"/wanted for the "job" etc) but then I realised that focusing on being creative is what I actually want to do. I just have big tendencies to people-please (I probably still am) and want to do what makes others appreciate me (or hope they appreciate!) Anyway, that being said and done - I am concentrating on the tapestry project now and that is a challenge unto itself as I am feeling overwhelmed by what is being required of me.
I ordered the warping cotton through Glenora in Australia. It's Swedish cotton and supposed to be the strongest, imported by Glenora for weavers in the South Pacific. It was the only place I could find the cotton we needed for the tapestry with the warp set of 12/18 seine twine. Naoko and I calculated we would need 13 cones for the four tapestry panels each 2 metres wide and 90 cm high. This includes hems and the extra for winding the wraps onto the loom beams. As we will being weaving two panels consecutively I ordered 7 cones to ensure we had sufficient warping materials.
Above: Naoko's calculations (she had a very-Japanese way of doing maths that completely lost me!)
Karen Taylor (above) is a Creative Fibre member and experienced weaver. We asked her to help us dress the loom. She obliged us by coming in with her warping mill and giving us both a free lesson on warp winding.
Naoko holding the cone of cotton so it unwound with ease.
We eventually found an easier way to wind on the warps using two chair to support the cone. Naoko and I took turns warp winding as we needed 642 lengths of cotton 5.5 metres in length grouped in lots of 8 (8 Epi). Each cone yielded between 11 and 13 setts of 8.
The warp chains reading for dressing.
I had envisaged doing all the warping and loom dressing myself but very grateful to have Karen do it and explain what she was doing.


The lease sticks are slipped through the warp legs either side of the cross. This is assist with warp
calculations and measuring.
calculations and measuring.
Ties are used at 1 inch bouts (8 Epi)
One of our Bach Co-operative members and Creative Fibre member donated a cone of carpet wool for the hem.Thanks Laurel!
The warps were wound onto the beam, each rotation separated with a length of cardboard
Warps are then tied in their groups of 8 to the lower lease stick.
Almost ready for weaving!
I've also been working on planning the story board along and sorting out where is the best place to purchase the weft wool.
It's proving to be a bit of a challenge.
The artist's impression uses brighter colours than the heritage range I had envisaged.
The resene colour chart and wool samples I'd orderedGlenda and I both agreed the Tekapo range was more suitable but then she had concerns about the
amount we'd have to order in each colour we'd need. She thinks it would be more economical to buy
in the Sullivan range which come in small 8 metre skeins but a greater range of colours.
I've also been working on the cartoon
while its been quiet at work.
Dressing the loom 6 hours
Selection wool for weaving/obtaining quotes and samples 3 hours
Drawing the cartoon 4 hours
Planning/designing/typing info- Storyboard 8 hours

No comments:
Post a Comment