My time with Ricky is always a challenge but a privilege. As Ricky has Asperger's he will often talk about certain things over and over so getting him to concentrate and focus is sometimes challenging. We have fun though and that's what is important!
His Mum asked me if I would help him sew a waistcoat after attending a wedding when she had hired one for him to wear. I've never made a waist coat before but trusting that I'll be able to assist Ricky to make one he will feel good about wearing. So far, the only clothing item we have made is pj pants.
I got him tracing the pattern in the size that would fit him.
Pinning and cutting - Autistic kids usually have sensory issues so skills like pinning and cutting help to develop co-ordination and dexterity.
Happy to have cut out the first piece of the pattern.
We often have a second project on-the-go. Ricky's Mum asked us to construct a wood-box for storing firewood. To make it as economically (and as resourcefully as possible) we are up-cycling a couple of wooden pellets. Deconstructing them was a mammoth task in itself! It took a lot of heave-ho to carefully unnail the planks so we could reuse them. Plus we ended up reusing the four-by-two's for the corner posts. My 18 year old son ended up sending us off inside to "have refreshments" and finished the job off in no time flat.
Ricky measured and cut each plank to a 1 metre length.
We discussed the importance of wearing protective gear when using power tools and over the coming weeks I noted an increase of confidence using them. We used chairs as saw horses and the ground as our support. Maybe, I'll suggest we make saw horses next!
After making and drilling the holes I had Ricky hand screw in the screws. Again, to develop dexterity and build a bit of muscle.
Ta-da! First side done and dusted. Our wood-box is going to be very "rustic" and I'm not constructing it to a specific plan - more just following my creative heart and hoping it'll turn out ok!
Cam, my son snapped this photo of us which is really nice to have.
Time teaching: 12 hours
The following Wednesday (14/06) we got the second side done.
Working on the sides (Ricky's not actually drilling only pretending for the photo)
..and onto the last side, except we ran out of screws.
Note my ingenious method of propping up the crate! The one thing I've learned about myself is I am adaptable in my limitations and find ways to do things when the challenge arises.
No comments:
Post a Comment