Tuesday, 6 December 2016

End of Nov/Early Dec 2016 Creativity

End of Nov/Early Dec 2016 Creativity
(28th November - 4th December)

My plan for the week...
...except there was a slight change in my work roster - I ended up working on Sunday not Saturday and so spent the day making soap (pics below at end of post). Also I spent an hour or so talking with Dane(TLC Support) on the Phone on Friday. I didn't get any scrap-booking time, nor go to Ai Chi (as I was working) but will try again my next available Sunday. Lastly, Jill didn't need my help with the Tapestry book Acknowledgements after all - seems Glenda (Founder of the Bach Gallery) sorted out the list for her. 

Ricky Time on Tuesday
 Ricky kept working on the Christmas decoration for his Mum.
 Over the past few months I've noticed he is taking more initiative in following repetitive steps though sometimes I need to remind him what to do next.
As a result it takes him longer to complete a craft and if we start talking (which he likes to do now) he'll get very sidetracked and can't work at all (looses concentration) To give him the opportunity to share things he's done with me, we've adopted a strategy where he has to do "x-amount"  of craft and then he "can talk" for a few minutes.

Ricky time: 3.5 hours

Photography
 I had to rescue several winged insects from the pool lately.
 It seemed like a good photo-opportunity and since I have been asked to be the photographer for a friend's wedding in March 2017 I need to be taking lots of photos (not that I need a reason really!)
 This butterfly dried itself off and flew away.
The cicada, however didn't fare so well.
RIP Little One!
 I also rescued a couple of bees.
 They too had disappeared when I went to check on them some time later so hopefully they were okay and survived their "almost drowning episode" as well.

As I said before, I didn't get the opportunity to do any scrap-booking as hoped but I did get inspired by this book which was found left by someone in my mailbox!
 It's a discarded library book - how much someone saw it and thought of me!

Pottery Night: Slab work
Wendy showed me how to do slab work this week.
 Some of the examples she found to print out and inspire.
A simple way to make a hanging vessel. You just roll out a piece of clay into a square (I used an ice-cream container as a template and lace fabric to create a pattern. Then you fold 3 of the sides into the centre like an envelope and make a small hole at the top. 
The next vessel I made is going to be a vase or hold-all like for brushes or pens/pencils.
 First I wrapped a piece of wet newspaper around a cut cardboard tube.
 Then rolled out a piece of white clay and used a round 
object to cut a circle for the container's base...
 ..and roughed-up the rim with a fork.
I cut a straight edge from the remaining 
portion of rolled clay and roughed it up too., 
adding a little moisture to the edges to
 assist in joining them together.
 Hmmm....you can see the overlap underneath.
I wasn't happy with that...
 ..so I added some leaves and a vine.
 Side view
 The back...
 ..and the other side.
I look froward to seeing it after it's bisque firing.

Pottery - 4 hours (includes clean up)

Harvesting/Gathering & Soap-Making
Comfrey, from my garden
Patterns in nature...
Kawakawa, again from my garden
More patterns...
...arranging and playing, because I can.
I seep the leaves in olive oil to make into soap.
Lye - measured carefully on my digital scales in ratio
to the oil proportion (it's kind of like cooking)
Once the oils and lye reach a trace it gets
 turned into the mould to firm up.

I made a batch of lavender soap and to seep more lavender for future soap. I harvested some from  a bush in my garden and dehydrated it to use later as I ended up giving it a good prune (I don't like to waste anything!)

This is Lavender I've grown from seed and is called Augustifolia
The bees were all buzzing around as I trimmed it.
My darling old kitty cat was lurking in bushes.
She sauntered over to where I was working.
..proceeded to walk passed..
..turn and look back...
...as she forgot what she was doing??
She settled on a shady spot close to where I was working.
Funny cat lol!
..back to the lavender....
It's making my house smell lovely!
I didn't take any photos making lavender soap...
..but I did of the strawberry guava.
 I strained the pulp to remove the seeds.
..whizzed them up in processor..
.and when it was thick and glossy...
Turned it into the tray moulds where it'll harden for 24-48 hours.
I spent the afternoon (and into the evening) making soap but needed to get a good amount made so it can be curing in time for Christmas/New Year Tourists.

Time: 7 hours

Experimenting with colour

I want to be able to push the boundaries and experiment more creativity and I had brought some green pigment from the TLC Shop when it was on sale. I have no idea what to do what this but after searching on google it looks like it could be used in soap-making as well as cement, plaster, wax and grouting.
I chucked a bit in one of my bins of paper pulp to see if it
would colour it - I think I threw in WAY TOO MUCH!
One of my green-dyed sheets of paper.
I decided to knock back the colour a bit with some blue dye.
The patterns it made were stunning -
I grabbed my camera and started clicking away!



I loved the feathering patterns and instantly wanted
to do some paper marbling again.

Time; 3 hours

More Photography
Lichen growing on a rock wall
I have been wanting to stop at the top of the hill coming
 into Whangarei from Maunu for some time now.
I've named this "Nearly Home"

..a couple of grayscale photos.

Thanks for looking!

Time: 3 hours (includes editing/uploading of photos)

No comments:

Post a Comment