WEEK 2
This is my schedule for the commencing
7 November 2016 to 13 November
My daughter is coming up for a quick visit in the weekend
and i also have the Art 'n Tartan Revisited exhibition on
as well as work so will be another busy week.
Paper-making Prep/Harvesting plant materials
Next load of flax cooked and ready for rinsing.
Harvesting and dehydrating calendula
for my soap and salves
My first beetroot harvest - I'd like to explore natural
dying methods. I know beetroot stains/dyes good!
Photography
There's going to be an feature about the
Whangarei Community Tapestry Project
in the next Creative Fibre magazine.
I was asked to take a photo of the tapestry now
that the lighting issues have been resolved.
I'm getting a few copies of the magazine as
complimentary gifts and my name will
appear in the magazine as the photographer
(I send one of the copies to TLC)
Photography: 1 hour
(includes editing/emailing to Creative Fibre)
Pottery night
I'm still working on a koru theme.
I'm thinking of using this as a tile
in a mosaic piece. I now need to
work the pieces for the surround.
Ceramics - 3 hours
Art n Tartan Revisited exhibition
All the designers from Art ' N Tartan have been invited to exhibited their wearable arts entry into a weekend exhibition at The Celtic Barn on 12-13 November 2016
So that meant getting my $1.50 mannequin of Trade Me ready.
A wooden dowel wasn't strong enough to support
it so I had to go hut for something that would. I was
almost sold a 6 metre reinforcing rod (@ $30!) and
then I saw 1 metre lengths of galvanized steel.
It fit inside an umbrella pole and stand so would
do the job (I hoped!)
Her legs hang a little weirdly but not to
worry - she was only $1.50 after all!
With her arms on supporting the branches...
.and the face with the mask (and hair)
I had this great idea about making a handmade book
using my handmade paper with coptic stitching and
a matching tartan fabric cover - I'd print out photos of
my gown-making processes to glue in on the pages
Sewing the signatures with cotton embroidery thread.
My really bad coptic stitching - it looks simple
enough in the instruction but think I need lessons
from Marci Tackett!!
What complicated things was I didn't want holes in cover
and all the instructions showed it being sewn on.
This is what it looked like inside.
I'm really pleased with it....
but don't look too closely at my stitching!
The Finished cover with a simple title.
Loading up the car early Saturday morning.
We could drop our mannequins off on Friday
but I was still completing my book - it took
way longer than I had anticipated.
I had work after dropping my design off
so was feeling a bit stressed!
I got there at 8.30 am as was relieved to find lots of
other designers were bringing in their gowns too.
Some of the designers had their models there and stayed to talk with the public who came to view the exhibition over the weekend. As I was working I said I couldn't stay but would be back to pack up after the exhibition on Sunday.
Here's a few more photos of the exhibition.
At the end of the exhibition I was asked if I would be happy to have "My Roots" gown on display at the Waipu Museum. They also said they thought my handmade book was wonderful. I'm really stoked! I'll need to go back out to assist helping with set up at the museum, just waiting to be contacted.
Book-making - 10 hours
Exhibitions - 7 hours
(includes travel/set up/pack down)


No comments:
Post a Comment