Monday, 15 February 2016

The Whole Brain Workshop

It's taken me a while to work out what I'm doing and where-to-from here given there's so many amazing talented artist and creative persons already doing 'their thing'. As a direct result of winning a scholarship I've decided to just keep on keeping on, exploring my creativity and seeing where it leads instead of trying to make it go in a particular direction. What I do know is I enjoy ceramics, printmaking and weaving so will focus on those three areas in 2016/17. It's been fun brain-stormimg what I could do and make, but before sharing about that I'll just answer a few questions as per Arthur Aron, professor at Stony Brook University, New York.

ARON'S QUESTIONS

Given the choice of anyone in the world, whom would you want as a dinner guest?
My favourite people to have around me at mealtimes are my own young-adult children. They inspire me and make my life worthwhile. They have unlooked in me resources I didn't know existed and I feel very privileged to be their mama. I particularly love when they want to cook for me. There's nothing more rewarding than sitting down at the end of the day to a meal prepared for by your kids!

What would constitute the "perfect day" for you?
I have two ideals actually....depending on my energy-levels....
If I was feeling good it would be: Rising early and going for an early-morning walk ior bike-ride and watch the day break and sun rise as I eat breakfast.. Then I would meet a friend and after go explore a museum, art gallery or the zoo. We would have lunch out at a cafe then afterwards I would either spend time in the garden or make something, maybe pottery related. Then I would have a long soak in the bath, order take-aways and curl up and watch a movie or go out to a restaurant (Thai) and the movies. My day would be complete retiring to bed with a book and read until i fell asleep.
But, if I was was tired my perfect day would be: sleeping in and having breakfast in bed. Reading (and probably falling back to sleep!) until I felt like getting up. Then I might stay in bed some more or get up and do something creative. Paint or scrapbook or watch a movie. order takeaways or go out for dinner with a friend, watch the sun set, then retire to bed with my book (again)

What is the great accomplishment of your life?
It would have to be giving birth to my three children. What an awesome adventure parenting is and even with all it's ups and downs, highs and lows - it has taught me so much about myself.
The other great accomplishment for me has been learning to drive. I didn't get my Learner's until my late 20's and then was put off driving with an instructor wanting me to drive a manual. Fourteen years later (and by this time I had teenagers) I knew I needed to "face that giant and slay it" A friends husband took me for driving lessons, I bought my first (auto) car and got my Restricted driving test. The rest is history and so far I've taught 2 out of 3 kids to drive.


The Whole Brain Workshop - Action in Writing
There are a few areas of interest I'm looking at doing as the next part of my TLC Art and Creativity Programme (Honours). 
I would like to further explore ceramics, printmaking, textiles and tapesrty -  the latter being a community project at The BACH Art Gallery & Shop Co-Operative, where I work.
We are estimating another 2-3 months work.
 With our existing  community Tapestry Project nearing completion after three years of weaving  I am putting together a proposal for the next one, which I'm really excited about but don't want to let the "cat out of the bag" just yet. (I will email that page to you, Keith)
I wasn't surprised by these results!
~o0o~
I've starting working on ceramic numbers AND joined a pottery
 group called The Firebirds. They meet at the Reyburn Studio 
weekly on Thursday's. I'm wanting to incorporate natural textures
 (bark, leaves etc) with my numbers (naturally..pun intended!)
 I've booked and paid to go to the annual "Dunedin Scrap Camp"
(in April) for a weekends retreat. I can't wait and thought since its
been a while since I've done anything scrapbooking-related I'd
put this together for a small canvas. Ten minutes later, I changed
 my mind and it's evolving into a 12x12inch page!
 I'm excited to share my paper-pulping "system"
well, that was until I discovered it doesn't work 
and needs tweeking. Back to the drawing board...
And after months...years of slicing bits of my fingers cutting 
paper with a stanley knife/metal ruler I've finally come to
the conclusion I need a guillotine. I scored this baby for $30
off Trade Me....and it was a local seller so didn't have to 
pay for frieght. New these things cost waaay more than 
thirty dollars so I'm really happy with my find!
~o0o~

No comments:

Post a Comment