Tuesday, 16 September 2014

Printmaking, Art Journalling, Weaving

PRINT-MAKING:
I finally "plucked up the courage to
 ink up my woodcut. I prepared myself
 for being disappointed and initially, 
I was... I just KNEW the background
 would bother me!
As you can see I couldn't "get in to ink up
the background behind the branches...
..and as I was only using the back of a spoon
to take an impression I've missed bits of the tree.
*sigh*
BUT...I'm actually OK with it, which is a HUGE 
step for me, I think. I'm sure it would print differently
using a proper press (which by the way, I could use
if I go to the Quarry Arts Centre) but sometimes 
you've just got to lower your expectations 
and be happy with what you get!
I took prints for my face sillouette.
I particularly love the tree coming
 out of my mouth!
Going to work some more on that idea.

Then I took a few prints in my 
art journal which I yet to complete.
I've got some text/journalling and more printing
(if I can find what I did my my leaf lino cuts!)
Grrr...things are always disappearing on me...
must be time for a clean up/sort out LOL)

I've also been working on another woodcut.
I really enjoy doing these and find it an easier
to work on medium than linoleum.
I was inspired by this image
and thought it was a knot of a tree
but my mum thinks its a thumb/
finger print which got me thinking
(not sure about what though!)
hmmm....suggestions?
It needs to tie in with
 my tree theme of course.
I just need to vanish this
and then take some prints.

CREATIVE ART JOURNALLING:
I have been really enjoying Jane Cunningham's 
CAJ group on a Monday morning.
It's  a great start to my week!
I'm going to add some handwritten journalling to my pages
.(not all pages are uploaded as they are unfinished)

TAPESTRY/WEAVING:
The Whangarei Community Tapestry Project
 After Art Journalling I go to The Bach 
and spend 3-4 hours in the afternoon hosting 
and working on the tapestry project.
I've been mainly focusing on the mountain area
and have learned how to "hatch" which is the
 method of blending two colours side-by-side.
A closeup of hatching.

As well as my weekly contribution to working on the 
community tapestry I've been working on my own
weaving projects at home.
I have FINALLY almost finished this!!
I'm sure I've UNDONE it 
as much as I've woven lol!
A closeup of the stitching which I've added afterwards.
I just have the gold "knots" to make on the tops of
 the "stamens"  I am SO very very much looking forward
 to seeing this OFF the loom!

 I bought a copy of "Weaving Made Easy" from FishPond.co.nz
 as it has lots of easy projects for the beginner weaver.
It also shows how to warp up a loom.
Regardless of the directions I still needed
 help first time warping my Tabby Loom. 
The ladies at the Weaving Group that meet monthly
at he Kamo Ladies Bowling Club helped me by firstly
showing me how to WIND the WARP using a warping
board and then threading the warp into the loom.
I got as far as threading up the heddle... 
...and tying the warps around one end.
The problem I have with the Tabby Loom
(I found) is it doesn't have the rollers other 
loom have which the warp winds around. 
In the meanwhile Beverley, from work
 (who has over 30 years weaving experience
 and also the Community Tapestry Master)
loaned me her Rigid Heddle Loom to 
practice on 
It's quite tricky getting the edges right and not 
pull the weft too tight after putting the shuttle 
through...but I'm getting the hang of it.

Love THIS WEAVING SITE and plan to
 try out some of the techniques and tutorials.

AND last but not least is the Beach Themed Tapestry"
I'm doing for The Bach. Again, I have done and undone
 this numerous times until I'm happy with it.
 I picked up some more blue yarns on
special from Spotlight. I'm liking the textured
yarns and the effect it gives visually.

CREATIVE HOURS - Aug 2014
20 hours - Printmaking
10 hours - Mixed Media/Art Journalling
25 hours - Tapestry/Weaving
12 hours - Soap-making 

No comments:

Post a Comment