Wednesday, 11 June 2014

Update - what I've been doing!

ART JOURNALLING:
I'm really enjoying the Art Journalling Workshops at 
The Quarry each monday from 9.30am to 12.30pm
 
 
 
I'm starting to feel  a lot more comfortable with
 my style and plan to continue the workshops
each Monday as and when I can. I'm finding it
"good therapy" in more ways than one.

PAPER-MAKING:
I was driving to work last weekend and spotted a 
broken (torn) branch on a pohutukawa tree. I'm 
really keen to experiment papermaking with other 
plant materials (especially NZ Natives) so on my way 
back home I stopped to remove some of the leaves.
  After stripping the leaves from the branches
I "cooked" it for several hours on my BBQ.
 It's now "rinsing" ...that is, the leaves are balled up like 
a plum pudding in a bucket of clean water. Every time I 
go outside I change the water until it relatively clearish.
Now for a fine day to make it into sheets of paper!

TAPESTRY:
 I've almost finished this but sadly have run 
out of (pale blue) wool. I'm not sure what to do now.
 I probably should take it along to work and ask Beverley
The Whangarei Community Tapestry Master. I've still 
got the flower stamens to do (in red) and sew in between
the warps where I've used a different coloured yarn.
I'll be glad when this is finished and plan to use it to
 make some cards to sell at The BACH.

Also, I have been commissioned to complete this 
tapestry, designed by Jackie Addenbrook the artist
 that designed the Whangarei Community Tapestry.
 I hope I do Jackie's design justice...
On completion I get to keep the loom!
I've already got ideas floating around in
 my head of what I'll do :o)
The wool...lots of lovely colours!
I've enlarged and printed off sections of the image
which I will colour using pencils or paint to match
 the yarns I've been given use. Here's a closeup
of what been done so far...

I'm going to work on it over the winter months
when I am at work at THE BACH.

TEXTILES:
I have been wanting to make something for the 
my entranceway for some time now. The wall space
 is long and narrow and I wanted it to hang from 
the wooden plaque I'd designed with the wording 
"Home Is Where The Heart Is" hand-written on it. 
 I drew a rough design and decided which
fabrics from my stash I wanted to use.
 Sadly, my house ended up crooked but 
didn't "chuck it away" ...just trimmed the back-
ground fabric to accommodate the annoyingly
frustrating (but once sewn on, stays on) lean-to effect!
This is the wooden plaque (excuse it's grubbiness!)
It was hanging a pre-printed hand-quilted picture
 panel previously.I'll take a photo of it once it is 
hanging up. Also I'm quite been on "having
 a go" making this into a painting.

EXHIBITIONS:
Lastly, I'm going to be exhibiting my soap in the
Riversdale Art Exhibition, Southland next month.
 I've yo-yo'ed back and forth whether or not to 
send stuff down but after talking with one of the 
BACH members, who does Hebel Sculpture
I've decided it's a great opportunity to show off 
my creative work. I plan to make some gift sets
 containing a soap, a handmade healing salve using 
local plant materials, a small piece of pumice stone 
and my handmade/hand-dyed cotton knitted flannels.
I need to trust that it'll be well reached and
 maybe provide a new outlet for sales for me!

NOW TO 
CALCULATE
 MY HOURS 
for my TLC mentor,
Keith Grinter .....

20 hours - art journaling/assemblage
30 hours - tapestry/textile



No comments:

Post a Comment