Wednesday, 28 October 2020

M3_P7 Term 4 Wk2 (19 - 25 Oct)

 Materials - cotton yarn, paper pulp from plant fibres, wooden frame, panel pins 

STUDIO PRACTICE:

Process - I had been researching artist's who use paper slurry/pulp for their art/installations and was very inspired by Jennifer Davies' work. I've been thinking of ways to explore using the pulp slurry so conjured up the idea of making a grid using a frame. The randomly-spaced panel pins (no perfectionism here!) provided a support for winding the cotton around, weaving back and forth to create a grid. The frame was then dipped into the pulp slurry and left on a flat surface to drain and dry. I repeated the process with a second frame.
The next day revealed textural peaks on the underside where the slurry dripped and dried.
I found it intriguing that, as I cut the cotton yarn, I was able to pull the length of thread from the dried pulp. Unfortunately the paper grid was a little damaged in removing it from the frame so if I repeated the process I could remove the panel pins to keep the edge better intact.
Process - Heated the wax over hot water until melted but realised the shape of the grid (square) wouldn't fit in the bucket (round) - story of my life! So went on the hunt for a suitable vessel to place the paper grid in and remembered I'd bought an oblong foil roasting tray for such a time as this. Problem number #346,789,001 - I didn't have sufficient wax for dipping, so had to pour it instead. Didn't like the clumping of the wax so much - it looked messy? which is ridiculous as the wax pooled WHERE it was poured as it cooled!
This led to the decision to cut the paper grid/s into smaller sections in order to dip as opposed to pouring. I decided to divide the wax into two buckets and add red to one thus altering the colour and enjoyed observing the layering of the two wax colours. A reflection of changes to gender roles maybe? My son thought the red resembled coral. Interesting how we interpret things differently.
Red wax detail
Above: Red coral from the China Sea
This piece measures almost 2 metres wide and it was difficult to find a space large enough to photograph it - I'm yet to take an "after waxing" picture.
My concept of creating undulations using corrugated iron as mold failed. The interlacing structure allowed for movement when lifted loosing shape as a result. 
Y fronts or v-strings?
No purpose or intention - just playing.
Enjoying the textures created by pressing, wiping and lifting.













No comments:

Post a Comment