Friday, 23 February 2018

Summer Holiday Break - Jan 2018

Tapestry weaving - Community Project
Taking a break from my creative responsibilities over Christmas and the New Year was very beneficial. Not only did it enable my body to heal but it gave me the opportunity to reflect and ponder the direction i'm going in. (Not that I've really worked that out yet!)

In mid January I picked up the weaving bobbin and started work on the "water"
I'm sure I have undone as much as I have woven! I find myself often highly critical of my effects and the next day undone an area and redo it until I'm satisfied - this is tiring but I am choosing to view it as "ongoing exploration" of my textile creativity. At first I just used a technique calling hatching to blend colours but I also wanted to convey a sense of movement so reworked the colours building up the different colours to create "waves'
While working on the weaving, which if I rostered on with someone to mind the counter has also provided me with the opportunities to talk with visiting public who show interest in our tapestry. I think I am getting more confident in dealing with the public but sometimes I just clam up and can't say a thing!
Helping members of the public to try a little weaving is all part of this community project. Usually they say "No, I'm happy to watch" and when I feel brave enough I like to encourage people to have a go at something they've not done before and they came away from the experience happy that they have participated.
Often I stayed after work to do some weaving. Naoko the other weaver helping me (or is it me helping her??) went over to visit family in Japan towards to end of January and I said I would get the water/whales area complete before she returned mid February. Of course, I haven't as I have spent much of my time undoing/redoing my weaving!
Here's some close up photos of my weaving around the whales..
Some days I'm really pleased with my weaving contributions and other days I really dislike what I do*groans*  but I am learning to "let go" of my expectations and ideals and just be in the moment and try eanjoy the process and learn from my experiences in a non-critical way.

These words from a library book I have on loan reiterate the lessons I have been learning on this weaving journey. Learning what doesn't work is as valuable as what does. Being brave when experimenting is the springboard to  creative discovery. Mistakes aren't failures, they are opportunities to try different approaches. Undoing reinforces doing. Nothing is wasted!

Soap/salve making
After Christmas I completely sold out of Comfrey & Arnica Balm and also almost ran out of Pohutukawa Balm so spent an afternoon one weekend making more.

In mid-January I was approached by a family aquaintence to make 160 soaps for PACIFICA Inca national non government organisation for Pacific women living in New Zealand. Members throughout the country get together annually to conduct the main business of the organisation but also to celebrate being together. This time it was being held here in Whangarei and the hosting branch coordinator wanted locally made items for their conference bags.
After making all the soaps, of which I made 4 "flavours" Coconut and lime, Mango, Pohutukawa and Frangapani which I called my exotic range I then needed to individually package and label each one.
Did I mention it was during this time my printer went on the blink and I was constantly needing to replenish packaging materials as I grossly under-estimated what I'd need to wrap them all??
Wrapping, tying and labelling all the soaps took hours and I found I could only work for a few hours at a time before my wrists hurt and fingers tingled.
I was such a relief when I had them all done boxed up ready for collecting.  Next time I will not be so eager to say "yes" to a large order that requires individual packaging!

Ceramics
Pottery started up again in mid-Jan though I took an extended break until later in the month. 
 Even though my Nature number series was received by the committee members at the December 2017 meeting with mixed opinions I decided to continue making them. Wendy, who is the Firebirds Chairperson encouraged me to persevere with my ideas and submit them to the Reyburn Art Gallery, (She is closely involved with choosing what is sold in the shop).
I plan to under-paint a series before bisque firing inspired by two of my favourite artists, Klimt and Hundertwasser (see images below) NOTE: the image below are not my paintings!
 I have done some sketching but yet to photograph it.
[Image source:from the internet]

Photography

New Years evening produced the most stunning sunset here in Whangarei. I'd like to try painting this or do an art journal page recalling my thoughts and reflections as we started a New Year.
The reflections in my neighbour window caught my eye too. Did I mention I love reflections?? They fascinate me and I wish I knew why....

...and of course, my beloved cat and son, Cameron.
Again, I'm loving the reflection in the wind-screen and can you spot the upside-down photo??

No comments:

Post a Comment