Sunday, 19 February 2017

Creativity Catch up over the holidays

PHOTOGRAPHY
My younger brother Ian, his partner Anita, her son
and their daughter came up from Christchurch for
a holiday between the 10th - 15th December. 
My older brother Mike, from Hamilton came up too
 so much of my time (off work) was spent with them
 and (of course) taking photos of our time together. 
We went up to A.H.Reed Park, which is an area of forest 
about 10 minute drive Northwest of the city, and of which 
accommodates a cluster of large native Kauri trees
The forest is a place I feel very peaceful.
It was a lovely way to spend time with my family

Looking back at the bridge we'd just crossed.
Sadly, the two or three photos I took of the Kauri trees didn't come
 out very well (I was having a few problems with my camera) but
I liked the bark texture and didn't realise this is what they look like.
Tree roots fascinate me as well - I see them as a deeply expansive and supportive system that reaches out in search of a collective meaning and understanding of the world around us and the world within us. A system that is continuously encountering challenges, obstacles, and brick walls. Yet a system remains persistent and strong enough to break through, grow, and change course of direction to keep moving outward. Roots grow from the heart of our internal beliefs, passions, and core values. They are part of a foundation and an essence of our being. One of the most profound things I’ve given great consideration and time exploring in my life are my ‘roots’  — core beliefs, core values, and my passions for life. Especially in relation to my physical, emotional, cognitive, and spiritual well-being.
The splendor of falling water 



My brother, Ian and niece, Trelise
My brothers partners son, Alex


Alex was very playful with the 
camera and a joy to photograph.
As well as the "posed" shots, I like
 to just observe through the lens.
And last but not least - a few more tree images
I just LOVE trees - they make
 me feel so at peace *heart*

Below - Reflections
Car mirror reflections of the setting sun
What I saw reflected in the mirror!

HARVESTING PLANT MATERIALS
The hot dry summer up north has meant my calendula's
 have flowered abundantly and I have harvested
 several bags of petals for my soap and salve making.


 I found it quite therapeutic separating
 the petals from the seed head.
As well as harvesting petals, I cut up
a load of flax for paper making
The summertime is the best time for drying the sheets
 of handmade paper quickly so I used the days not in The Bach
 gallery over January to make paper to stock up
I learned from last year that I need to spend the extra
time making paper in the summer - it takes way to long
 to dry over the winter!

ORGANISING/PLANNING AHEAD
I purchase a 2 door cabinet to better organise
all my creative projects - the plan for 2017
is to have improved systems in place so I
don't waste time trying to find things.
Sadly, upon opening I discovered damage to one of the corners so I had to get a replacement. That turned out to be a long drawn-out process as they didn't have any in stock and it needed to be freighted up from Auckland by truck. 
Cam no longer needs or wants his Year 13 Photography portfolio so I'll remove the photos and use the A1 card for my Wearable Arts creation. I am going to "be a story-book" this year and very excited about getting started. I've purchased some animal fibres/wool and plan to commence the felted tartan book cover shortly. I will make "mock-up" small samples first to practice the tartan technique before making the full-size cover.

As well as planning my Wearable Arts creation I've been working on my design for the next community tapestry but I might start a separate post for that as there's so much to write about.

POTTERY
After a short break over Christmas and early in the New Year I returned to the Reyburn Art Studio to spend a few hours each Thursday evening de-stressing from the days work.
I glazed and fired numbers 3-8
 along with a couple of other "leafy things"
I'm not entirely happy with the leaf arrangement and glazing effect but like the concept so will experiment more over the coming month. (Particularly with glazing techniques)
 Again - need to experiment with glazing techniques and probably should do what "the experts" do - make little sample tiles/record what different glazes do (I'm sure there is a proper term but I don't know the word!) I have got a book on glazing and must take another look at it now I'm up to exploring the process with better understanding. It's called "A Glaze of Colour" by Jane Davies.
Plus I also rolled out and cut the remaining numbers that for different reasons didn't make the bisque firing with the other numbers. Interestingly enough, I had a customer ask at work yesterday about house numbers (did The Bach have any?) and I said I was in the process of making some pottery ones. So, I have her email and will send photos. The number she wants is 30 so I need to get the zero bisque fired and glazed if she does want to buy them.

Photography: 3 hours (includes editing)
Planning/Organising: 1 hour
Pottery: 9 hours
Preparing Fibres/Harvesting plants: 2 hours


No comments:

Post a Comment