I received the unfortunate news that my application for council funding to start another community tapestry was turned down. Initially I felt really "bummed" about it...but after talking with Heather, The Bach Chair-person, I felt a bit more encouraged. It was unsuccessful for two reasons - one, the project was expected to take 1 year not the 3 or more I said (but had stated each of the 4 panels would taken 8-9 months per panel) and easily remedied by rewriting application for one panel only. The other issue was it's resting place upon completion. The council didn't want ongoing responsibility for further projects, but I had planned to ask the Art Museum now located at the Town Basin if they'be be willing to take care of the panels. Any way, there are other places I can try for community funding so I'll resubmit it and see what happens. I'n the meantime, I work on a bit of sketching.
Composition sketches first using some my
photos of Hatea River as inspiration.
photos of Hatea River as inspiration.
and then a quick pastel drawing.
I tried a bit of painting but got very discouraged
(the work ended up in the bin, sorry)
so went back to using the pastels
My inspiration was this photo I took
I'll revisit experimenting with paint again soon.
Paper-making/Book-making
Experimenting with paper recycling
and dried plant materials
I purchased a rolled of plain white paper from
Allens, when I buy kraft paper for my soap labels
After soaking I mixed half and half with some flax pulp
As you can see the white paper was not really
broken down properly so I'm calling this my
"confetti" paper to disguise my disappointment.
This rest of the white paper I had soaking
went through an old blender. That stopped
working halfway through so had to resort
to using a hand-whiz stick blender.
(the things we do in the name of art lol!)
I threw in a handful of dehydrated kowhai
flowers and leaves and this was the result.
Now to turn the paper into books...
Sketching/drawing - 4 hours
Paper-making - 11 hours
No comments:
Post a Comment