Saturday, 30 June 2012

RESOURCE #1: The Travelling Egg Project

This has been a FUN and thought-provoking exercise. I've really enjoyed the brain-storming (I didn't sleep well the first couple of nights I was so excited hehe) Here's with I wrote in my Visual Diary on the 6th June....
above: images from the internet
I googled the word WOMB and was especially inspired by Leonardo Da Vinci'd Study of the Womb, and it was from this, that I  birthed the idea of shaping a womb "shell" with paper mache over a balloon that was blown up enough to fit in my hand. 
 Very messy...lots of fun!
 ...hanging outside to dry....
 I had thoughts of using chicken wire and Plaster of Paris to strengthen and reinforce my "womb" but I wasn't 100% sure about it.... so did a bit more googling. I got the idea of using hessian strips with the POP and knew I had some so went in search in my resource cupboard for some scraps...Once the ballon was removed and my womb cut in half. I needed to somehow keep paper-mached shape when I plastered it so I stuffed the inside halves with some balled-up newspaper
 ...and this is what they looked like once plastered with the hessian strips dipped in the POP....
Once dry, I painted it (...several times until I got the colour I liked!)
 ..the inside...
I have been VERY PROUDLY showing off my "womb" to all my friends LOL! They are excited for me and love my idea. 
Next is to "line" my womb to protect the egg....
 Cutting out the fabric...
 add the wadding to line the inside of my "womb"
yes.. it fits!
(excuse the weird colours in the photo above)
The stamped wording expresses my thoughts about the egg,
new life, new beginnings..
"Going back to the beginning"as not only is an egg the beginning of life,
TLC is also the new beginning of my art journey
"Encase, Keep safe, Precious" - what the "womb" does and provides. It's also what I feel has happened to me, artistically-speaking.
The butterflies signify transition and transformation.
This is the cover for the egg...it opens at the bottom 
..and the other side..
It reads "The layers (pun) of protection, hiding the egg". We all hide parts of ourself...things we are ashamed of or aren't confident in. This is how I feel with my artistic abilities...like it's hidden in the layers of what I've been told when I was at school (that I was "wasting time" decorating my work artistically) and that I'm "No Good" at things....
 My egg nesting inside my "womb"...protected by the layers
 ...slipped inside the centre lining layer...
  ..and held safely inside with velcro.
My Tag, naming my Travelling Egg Project. The Bible says that "children are a Gift from God" ...hence why my womb is "gift-wrapped"
..and explaining what it is to me
...a symbolic place of New Beginnings!
 My Art Womb is a place within me...I look forward to it growing!
 The front view
 Side View
 Other side
The Back...untie here (pink ribbon) to open
Thanks for looking..... I'm really pleased with how it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment